With a day off work and time on my hands, I decided to get creative in the kitchen. I wanted to make something quick, healthy and of course – it needed to be tasty too! I came up with a pan-fried fish dish with a mango, lime and ginger salsa, served alongside “zoodles” (courgette noodles) and avocado. I used mojarra, which is a very common fish here on the Caribbean coast, although any white fish fillet would do.
White fish in a mango sauce with courgette noodles
To make this quick and tasty dish, you will need:
– 1 fillet of mojarra (or any white fish you have to hand)
– 1 courgette
– Salt, pepper and a touch of dried chilli
– 1 avocado
For the salsa:
– Half a mango, cut into small cubes
– 1 quarter of red onion
– A thumbnail of ginger, grated finely
– Juice of one small lime
– 1 tbsp of soy sauce
– Dash of fish sauce
1) Start by making the salsa. Combine all the salsa ingredients in a blender, food processor or small electronic food chopper. Blend until smooth – if a little thick, add in water until any lumps have disappeared.
2) Now get onto the zoodles. Cut courgette lengthways in half (for easier grating) and grate in long strokes to get spaghetti-like strands.Mix in generous seasoning of salt, pepper and a touch of dried chilli. Leave to one side.
3) Place some oil in a pan and heat gently, and now lightly pan fry fish until cooked through.
4) Place fish on plate, and in the same pan throw in zoodles. These need a very brief cooking – literally 1-2 minutes.
5) Place zoodles alongside fish, top with slices of avocado, and top fish with salsa.
And there you have it. Jamie Oliver eat your heart out – try this Bidmead version of a quick 20 minute meal, and enjoy a tropical taste of the Caribbean coast wherever you are.